Archive for screenshot

Returning to Work

Posted in graphics with tags , , , , on February 15, 2009 by Tau

Well,  I’ve said a few times over the past couple months that I would be working on this again after a hiatus, and I hope that this time it’s for real. I think the best place to start is to sum up what I’ve done so far (for my own benefit as much as anything else) and post some screenshots of all the features I’ve coded.

Below is how the program starts up after typing python nsf.py into the command line. Yeah, I know, extremely bland. I’m sure I’d feel better about myself if I added some grass or something.

Opening Screen as of 15/02/09

Opening Screen as of 15/02/09

And how the dialogue prints out. I think the 1st thing to do is make that ugly blue box, well, not. Something with a border I think.

Sample of dialogue printing as of 15/02/09

Sample of dialogue printing as of 15/02/09

The basic message printing. Actually looks better than the dialogue, but still needs a proper border. I’ll use the same one for both I think.

Message Printing as of 15/02/09

Message Printing as of 15/02/09

That’s about it that you can see. I should work on some sprites, for morale as much as anything.. hope I can find the time.

Creating Sprites (Part 2)

Posted in graphics with tags , , , , , , on August 9, 2008 by Tau

So I finished off the basic line drawing of the Church I was working on, and then added some simple colouring. Just to see how it would look within the program I switched off the sketch background, cropped and re-sized the image.

The additional sprites you can see below are purely for testing out the movement, drawing and event code. I will (very soon) only be using my own sprites. They were obtained from Charas Project Which is a great resource for Top-Down RPG Sprites. I believe it’s actually intended for RPG Maker, but just as useful for coded projects (NB I forget precisely from whom I took these few sprites, and I apologise. They will not be used in the completed game).

Once this image loaded I noticed some lag in the movement, and a whirly CPU fan. I suspect this is due to my usual memory intensive way of coding. I’ll go back through and stop making every single loop do so during the main While 1: loop.

On a slightly separate note, I’ve animated the main character during movement. Basically I just changed the sprite to the next in a flickbook type collection of sprites every 5th time the move() function is called.